Biennially, IBBY UK nominates a British author and an illustrator for the Hans Christian Andersen Awards, which are the most prestigious in the international children’s book world. The awards are presented to a living author and illustrator whose complete works have made a lasting contribution to children’s literature. Nominations are made by each national section of IBBY. A jury of international children’s literature specialists selects the recipients of the award.
The author’s award has been presented since 1956 and the illustrator’s award since 1966. Great authors and illustrators from all over the world have been honoured, including a number from the UK.
Hans Christian Andersen Awards 2024
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2024 Award are John Agard (writing) and Jackie Morris (illustration). These were selected by the committee from a shortlist of nominations. The full list of nominations from 33 IBBY member countries can be found here.
- You can read the full nomination portfolios for John Agard here and Jackie Morris here.
Hans Christian Andersen Awards 2022:
IBBY International announced the winners of the 2022 Hans Christian Andersen Award: Marie-Aude Murail of France as Author and Suzy Lee of South Korea as Illustrator. Over 30 years, Murail has written nearly a hundred books for children and young adults. Her dossier notes that in many ways, she embodies the values of IBBY: committed to the cause of children and reading, observing the world seriously, and with humour and caring optimism, opening numerous windows on the major stakes of contemporary society. Suzy Lee, as quoted in her dossier, says that picturebooks are “a joyful form of play, presented in the most refined style that tells the most serious of stories” and describes herself as “someone who plays together with the readers over a little bowl of stories that come alive through pictures.”
- For more information, visit IBBY International.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2022 HCA Award were Marcus Sedgwick (writing) and David McKee (illustration). These were selected by the committee from a shortlist of nominations by members. You can read the full nomination portfolios for Marcus Sedgwick here and David McKee here.
Hans Christian Andersen Awards 2020:
On 4th May, IBBY International announced the winners of the 2020 Hans Christian Andersen Award: Jacqueline Woodson of the USA as Author and Albertine of Switzerland as Illustrator. As author, Jacqueline Woodson has a prolific body of writing from picture books to young adult literature, all of which feature lyrical language, powerful characters, and an abiding sense of hope. As illustrator, Albertine creates books with multiple levels of interpretation, with drawings made with infinite precision that are lively and full of humour.
- Films from the virtual IBBY Press Conference can be found here.
- The full media release can be downloaded here.
- Click here to download the PDF of the 2020 HCAA Shortlist.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2020 HCA Award were John Agard (writing) and Helen Oxenbury (illustration). These were selected by the committee from a shortlist of nominations by members. You can read the full nomination portfolios for John Agard here and Helen Oxenbury here.
Hans Christian Andersen Awards 2018:
- The 2018 winners are: Eiko Kadono of Japan for Writing and Igor Oleynikov of Russia for Illustration. You can read more about the winners here.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2018 HCA Award were Melvin Burgess (writing) and Jane Ray (illustration). You can read the full nomination portfolios for Melvin Burgess here and Jane Ray here.
- You can see a short film here about the shortlisted candidates in both categories.
Hans Christian Andersen Awards 2016:
- The 2016 awards were won by Cao Wenxuan from China and Rotraut Susanne Berner from Germany.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for 2016 were Elizabeth Laird and Chris Riddell. You can download Elizabeth’s nomination portfolio here and Chris Riddell’s nomination portfolio here.
- View list of all 2016 nominees.
Hans Christian Andersen Award 2014:
- The 2014 awards were won by Nahoko Uehashi from Japan and Roger Mello from Brazil.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2014 HCA Award were John Burningham and Jacqueline Wilson. You can download John’s nomination portfolio here and Jacqueline’s nomination portfolio here.
Hans Christian Andersen Award 2012:
- The 2012 awards were won by María Teresa Andruetto from Argentina and Peter Sís from the Czech Republic.
- IBBY UK’s nominations for the 2012 HCA Award were Philip Pullman and John Burningham.
- View list of all 2012 nominees.
Past UK winners of the Hans Christian Andersen Awards
1956: Eleanor Farjeon
2000: Anthony Browne
2002: Quentin Blake
2002: Aidan Chambers
2010: David Almond
Further information can be found on the IBBY international website